Wednesday 30 April 2008

My reading fixes

So what do I read when I'm not writing? My main fiction books are crime novels, though I am also very partial to short stories. I also read huge amounts of non-fiction - about writing, self-help, psychology, and spirituality.

Recently I've been having a non-fiction reading marathon. I have read several books by the brilliant Wayne Dyer, and have just discovered Caroline Myss, although I think I prefer listening to her books rather than reading them. I am also a huge fan of the British Taoist guru, The Barefoot Doctor (Stephen Russell), especially his Manifesto, which I have on CD and on paper. He really makes me laugh as well as making me think.

As far as books on writing are concerned, I love Julia Cameron's books, especially The Artist's Way, and have been writing Morning Pages on and off for years as a result of her influence. Nathalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones is another favourite. The Writing Handbooks by Rib Davis on developing characters and writing dialogue also provide lots of food for thought.

When it comes to crime, I like mine gritty, British, and preferably Scottish, so you can probably guess that Ian Rankin is one of my favourite novelists. I also enjoy the up-and-coming Scottish writers, Lin Anderson, Sheila Quigley, Alex Gray, and Stuart MacBride (whose books are set in Aberdeen). I myself hail from Dundee, but I visit Glasgow at least twice a year, so spotting locations on Taggart is one of my favourite television pastimes - 'Look, we've been to that restaurant!' Unfortunately, there isn't a famous Dundonian fictional detective, as far as I am aware.

Non-Scottish crime writers whose books I read regularly include that wonderful husband and wife team, Nicci French, whom I had the pleasure of hearing at the Harrogate Crime Writing Festival; Frances Fyfield (if you can find any talking books by her read by Rula Lenska, you're in for a treat); and MC Beaton whose Agatha Raisin is my number one literary character - feisty, brilliant, dogged, lovelorn, outrageous, and hilarious.

Non-crime writers that I enjoy include Adriana Trigiani, who transports me into another culture so beautifully, especially her Lucia, Lucia, Maeve Binchy for heartwarming page-turners, and Alexander McColl Smith, although I tend to read his Scotland Street books set in Edinburgh rather than his Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series. I find his saxophone-playing child prodigy, Bertie, extremely funny, although, as the mother of a musical prodigy myself, I do wince at times when I spot similarities between myself and his pushy mum!

Do post a comment and let me know if you share any of my favourite reads - or perhaps try out one of the authors I've suggested. Happy reading!

No comments: