Sunday 19 April 2009

Until It's Over by Nicci French

In and amongst the tidying and filing, I managed to read another crime novel this weekend, to keep myself sane. It was Until It's Over by the husband and wife writing team, Nicci French. The fact that I managed to read it so quickly is a testimony to its power as a page-turner, given that it was 377 pages long. I had got it in a nice big book club paperback edition from one of my local book discount shops for £2.50, so it was a real bargain.

Until It's Over is a psychological thriller that really does play games with your head. It makes you feel as if one of the main characters is going mad when murders mysteriously happen around her. Why and how are they happening that way? Is she really involved in the killing spree? Does she herself even know whether she is or isn't?

I found the book gripping and the ensemble cast of characters interesting. I'm not quite so sure that the second half worked as well as the first half - I can't go into any more detail without giving away the plot. However I did find the final chapter genuinely moving and, all in all, the book was a satisfying read.

No comments: