Thursday 3 July 2008

Addictive Reading - 'The Other Boleyn Girl'

I said yesterday that I didn't know whether I would manage to read Philippa Gregory's historical novel, The Other Boleyn Girl, in time for our reading group meeting on Monday.

But I can now confidently predict that I will finish it in time. In fact, there's a chance that I might even get it finished tonight. I've been glued to it today, small print or no small print. I've found it absolutely fascinating in a horrible sort of way, and it certainly makes me feel glad to an ordinary British woman living in the 21st century rather than a courtier at the time of King Henry VIII.

My son is now home from school for the summer holidays - nine and a half weeks - so I've also been taking advantage of that by getting him to do all the little jobs that I usually get stuck on, like transferring podcasts to my MP3 player. He's a real technical whizz kid. I have a new MP3 player which makes it much easier for me to listen to my favourite podcasts from Hay House Radio.

It's been a day when lots of newsletters have started arriving in my mail box too. I've already recommended a great website for writers, http://www.writing-world.com/, but I'll mention it again. The latest edition of their free newsletter is now out and has some very interesting articles in it as well as information about publications and competitions. I particularly liked the feature on 'How to Read "How to Write" Books'.

I won't spend long talking to you tonight as I'm on tenterhooks to find out what happens to the two Boleyn girls. I've a vague inking of what happens to one. (Let's just put it this way - I don't think she lives happily ever after!) But I'm dying to know what happens to her sister. I think I'm a Philippa Gregory convert.

No comments: