Tuesday 29 July 2008

Using Music and Memories in Your Writing

Last week I went to see the film, Mamma Mia! which is based around the music of Abba. I really enjoyed it and was very impressed at the way they managed to weave a story round the music, or weave the music into a story.

It reminded me of another way in which music is woven into the fabric of our lives. The music of Abba played a significant part in a momentous day in my life, the day I got my final degree results at Durham University. It was a strange sort of day, one full of normal routine, yet in another sense not at all normal, because we knew that the results would be posted on a board in County Hall that evening.

The countdown began earlier. We'd been told to check a board outside our department at lunchtime to see if we were going to be given a Viva Voce - an exam in which you are questioned in person about your subject and the answers you gave in the exam. No one wanted a viva - by that stage, we'd relaxed and forgotten most of what we'd written in our finals papers.

There were two reasons students might sit a viva. There were those who were on the borderline between failing and passing their degree. If they did well in their viva, they could tip the scales in their favour and secure a pass.

The other group consisted of those who were on the borderline between two classifications, for example, they might have a high 2:1, but their viva could push them up into a first class degree.
I didn't think I was in danger of failing, but I did think I might be on the borderline between classifications.

Eventually our lecturers filed out and the list was pinned on the board. My name wasn't on it. But I was amazed to see my philosophy lecturer give me a big smile and a thumbs up as she passed me by. What did that mean?

I reckoned she must be letting me know I'd done well, but exactly how well? Did she mean I'd got a first? Or was it just a good 2:1? The agonising thing was that I had a few more hours to wait to find out which it was.

I went home to wait for results time, but I was full of nervous energy, even more so now after that enigmatic thumbs up! I was starting to hope I might have got a first, but I didn't want to count on it and end up disappointed.

To burn up some of my nervous energy, I put on my favourite Abba LP and danced along to it, all the while wondering what the next few hours would bring. I knew that if I got a first I'd be able to study for a Ph.D. so there was a lot riding on that result.

Eventually we headed for County Hall to check the results boards. At first there was nothing up for my subject, so that meant more hanging around. When the long-awaited sheet of paper was finally pinned to the board, I could finally breathe. There was just one first class honours degree awarded in my subject and there at the top of the list was my name. I'd done it! I'd got my first and come top of my year as well!

Whenever I think about that day, that wonderful day, the music of Abba always comes to mind. The two are inextricably linked in my memory.

How about you? Is there a particular song or singer that is linked to a memorable moment in your life? Your first kiss, perhaps? Or a marriage proposal? Moving away from home?

If there is, dig out the music now and have a listen to it. Then write down your own story using the music to anchor your memories.

No comments: