Friday 11 July 2008

Ideas for Writing from Real Life

As you know, whenever I'm out and about, I'm usually on the lookout for anything slightly out of the ordinary that might inspire some writing. Today I'd just pulled off the Ring Road and was heading to my usual car park in town, when I spotted something in a quiet side street that made me really curious.

Right in the middle of the road stood a pair of old-fashioned, gentlemen's carpet slippers. When I say, 'stood', that's exactly what I mean. They were standing there side by side in the middle of the road, almost as if the owner had vanished into thin air, leaving only his slippers.

How had the pair of slippers got there? Who did they belong to? Could there be a fantasy or sci-fi story behind the mysterious items?

Or had someone found them lying near a wheelie-bin and put arranged them like that? But if so, why put them in the middle of the road? Why had they not been knocked over or kicked about? Surely there must have been some traffic in that street? Did the cars drive around them?

See if the slippers in the road inspire you to write something.

What do I think? Why, it's magic, of course!

No comments: