Saturday 6 September 2008

Enjoy Your Talent, However Small

This morning I was back at Music Centre to play in two bands, along with a dozen or so adults and several hundred children - not to mention the parents and grandparents who had brought their children along and who sat and listened to them play for an hour and a half.

I have some musical talent, but it's relatively modest. I didn't start learning clarinet and saxophone till I was in my forties. I don't pick things up as quickly as I used to and my fingers are clumsy, but I have a fairly good ear. I know I would be better if I practised for an hour a day on each of my instruments, but I can't see that happening in the near future.

So I'm happy to sit in Junior Band with my saxophone next to a ten-year old and a twelve-year old, knowing that although I may be better than they are at writing university essays about music and I have a Dip. Mus. after my name, I don't have their natural talent. And I know I'll never play as well as their dad who is a very gifted professional saxophonist and composer.

But to me, it's still a great thing to be able to make music with other people. It's thrilling to sit and play as part of a large band and hear the wonderful sound we make together and realise that I'm part of that too. It's great to have something to work towards and people to share my interest with. It's fascinating to discover new music and revel in the sheer delight of it - and I can't wait to play the 'Pirates of the Carribean' medley again in Intermediate Band!

If you're just starting to write or you're beginning writing classes or workshops, maybe you doubt your talent as a writer. There are so many fantastic books that have been published, so much wonderful poetry, powerful plays for stage or television. Where you are seems a long way off from the achievements of these marvellous writers. How can you ever hope to bridge the gap?

It's easy to think it's all too difficult and you're too ordinary. You don't have that magic something that all these famous writers have. You'll never have books in the bestseller lists or write plays like Shakespeare.

But think of yourself as joining in the music. Think of yourself as a small part of a big band in which everyone is playing different instruments. Alone, you may feel feeble and inadequate, but when you join forces with others the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

When you write, even in a small way, you are part of the symphony of words and creativity that is formed by writers everywhere. You are adding your own unique sounds, your signature flourishes to it, and your contribution helps to increase the total creativity of the universe.

So when you sit down with your pen and paper and worry that you may not have what it takes to be a writer, don't worry. Be happy! Enjoy your talent, however small! You may not know it, but really, we're all playing the same tune.

No comments: