Friday 26 September 2008

Settling In

We've had two weeks of adult education classes now and I'm starting to settle in and get to know my students. We're gradually sorting out the awkward admin work that eats into lesson time, making sure that everyone has filled in an enrolment form properly and paid their fees.

Practical niggles are being resolved too, like the fact that one classroom I teach in at a local secondary school has no board rubber. I have endured two lessons where I had to wipe the whiteboard with tissues, a laborious and messy process. But now I have managed to get a board rubber of my own from the adult education centre. I shall keep in my briefcase, on permanent standby.

It's really exciting to hear my students read out their writing to the class, especially if they are new to the course. I'm constantly surprised at how inventive they can be and how different everybody's writing is.

Already we are getting used to working together and all my classrooms are filled with the sound of laughter. In my view, a class that is relaxed enough to laugh is a class that is relaxed enough to learn.

I'm getting used to my PGCE class too - to being a student as well as a teacher - and I'm finding it useful. Not only do I have the support of my tutor and fellow students - it's also a handy place to find a well-qualified plumber or electrician if you need one!

The belly dancing enrichment classes have also restarted so I'm getting a physical workout at college every week as well as a mental one. I look forward to the return of my waistline.

I hope that you too are settling into the new term, as a student, a teacher, a parent. Education is a precious resource. Let's cherish it and make the most of it, whatever our age.

No comments: