Friday 13 June 2008

Don't Talk - Write!

We've all met them, in pubs, cafes, at work - people who tell you they've got a book in them. A book they're going to write some day soon. It's a fantastic story- so fantastic that they spend ages telling you all about what they're going to write.

But do they ever write it? No, they just talk about writing it. In fact, they talk about it so much that they never get round to doing any writing. The book never actually gets written. It remains hot air.

I make a point of never discussing what I'm about to write. I know that if I did, I would lose the impetus to sit down and actually write it. All my creative energy would have gone into talking about it, rather then writing it.

If I keep my writing ideas to myself, then eventually they will want to burst out onto the page, and I, as much as anybody, will want to know what happens.

The exception is when I'm writing with my writing partner. In that case, tossing round ideas and bouncing them off each other is a vital part of the creative process.

The difference is that the talking part of our plan is an element in our writing schedule. It's a step along the way. It isn't just showing off or talking big for the sake of it.

So save your breath, and use it to breathe life into your creation, to bring your precious book into being on the page. You can talk about your writing as much as you like once you've finished it and got it published.

Till then, keep stumm! Remember - careless talk costs books!

No comments: