Tuesday 10 June 2008

Ten Good Reasons Why a Writer Should Read

To Read or Not to Read

When I started teaching creative writing, I took it for granted that anyone who wanted to write would already be a keen reader, so I was surprised to discover that several of my students didn't usually read very much.

Throughout the year, I've aimed to show my class how valuable it is for them to read regularly and to get them to sample new authors and unfamiliar forms of writing like short stories.

Ten Good Reasons to Read

1) Reading shows you that there are so many other ways of writing and so many other things to write about - not just the ones that come into your mind easily.

2) Reading gives you insight into how other writers think.

3) Reading accelerates your progress as a writer and gives your work depth and maturity.

4) Reading enhances your vocabulary.

5) Reading teaches you new writing techniques you can use.

6) Reading allows you to decide for yourself what works and what doesn't in a piece of writing.

7) Reading provides 'nourishment' for when you feel starved of creativity.

8) Reading current publications shows you what editors want to buy.

9) There would be no point in writing if nobody ever read anything.

10) Reading is fun!

Can you think of any other reasons why writers should read? Why not add them to my list?

No comments: