Saturday 28 June 2008

Write from a Different Viewpoint

Today I've been working on a short story I wrote some time ago. I thought it worked and it was quite a good story, and other writers I trust liked it too, but after it was rejected by a magazine I had another look at it and thought about what I could do to make it work better. What I chose to do was to alter the viewpoint.

Viewpoint in fiction writing refers to whose eyes you see the story through. The same events will seem very different when experienced by the various people involved. Adopting a particular character's viewpoint can allow us access to what that character knew and how they felt, but it can also be limiting - how can we write about events to which the character did not witness and had no knowledge of?

The story I was working on today was written from the point of view of a ten-year old girl, which was useful in that it allowed me to really show how passionate she was about what she wanted - she was desperate to learn the clarinet. But I felt that maybe my characterisation of her and her father wasn't strong enough and it was quite limiting to see everything from her viewpoint especially as she was very young.

So I had the idea of re-writing the story from the point of view of her big sister. She can let us see some of the same events happening, but being that bit older she has a more sophisticated understanding of them. Writing from her point of view also allows me to add a touch of humour to the story and to explore the family dynamics a bit more.

The writers' self-help group that is going to meet on Tuesday is going to read both versions, so hopefully I will find out then if my strategy has worked.

Meanwhile it's worth bearing in mind this approach - if you have a piece of writing that isn't quite working, try writing it from another viewpoint and see what effect it has on the story. It's worth a try. Keep your original version safe too, in case you decide it was better after all.

No comments: