Thursday 26 June 2008

Writing in the Rain

Writing as the Rain Pours

As I'm sitting here writing, I can hear the constant patter of drizzle as my garden is subjected to torrential rain. It's actually very pleasant to be able to enjoy the rain without having to be outside getting soaked by it, though I must admit that when I was in town at lunchtime and the rain came on, I didn't put my brolly up because I enjoyed the freshness of the rain on my face after feeling overheated and stuffy for so long. There's a pleasant cooling breeze coming through my window now, just enough to make me feel alive.

Too Hot to Work

Actually, I prefer this sort of weather for writing. The worst sort is the overbearing muggy heat that makes you want to sleep all day because it's just too warm to do anything, then keeps you awake at night because it's too hot to sleep - so you start the same old cycle again the next day, progressively becoming less and less able to function effectively.

We invested in a couple of oscillating fans when we had a hot spell about three years ago, but they're not really a lot of good when you're writing because they tend to waft your papers about. For the same reason, I've never really been one to enjoy writing out of doors in the summer, as it's a constant battle to stop your notebook blowing shut and to see what you've written in the glare of the sun.

Writing Outdoors

And as for sand, well, I enjoy a leisurely stroll along the esplanade when I'm in Broughty Ferrry, but I certainly wouldn't sit on a sandy beach and attempt to write. In fact, I'm not a fan of outdoor writing, though I used to enjoy sitting writing on the slow train to Manchester Victoria. I love reading and marking work in cafes and occasionally write in them, though there are usually too many distractions, like newspapers and slices of delicious coffee cake.

I really enjoyed myself on Friday though preparing for the university writing workshop. I set off for a little walk through the woods and really loved being in the little snicket that led from my street to the woods. It was warm and sunny, but quiet and still and there was a handy little wall to sit on.

Being Fully in the Moment

I don't know if I would enjoy it quite as much a second time, though, as the whole point of going there was to record my impressions of the setting - what I saw, heard, smelt, felt and tasted. I enjoyed being in that place and giving my full attention to the experience of simply being there - being fully in the moment.

That's one of the joys of being a writer, that you are free to experience being in the moment and also free to travel in your imagination to be anywhere you want at any time - like Dr Who but with more control over the process!

Why not take a moment or two to think about where you are right now, to reflect on your surroundings, and to notice what is going on around you. Be grateful for the chance to focus your thoughts and experience life fully - then to share your experience with others.

No comments: